This is such a quick pudding, it can be made on those days when your main meal doesn't go far enough and you want to quickly whip up a pudding. It takes 20 minutes from start to finish, even the first time you make it, so it's ideal for weekdays.
Quick Lemon Sponge Pudding.
100g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
100g butter (softened)
2 medium eggs
Zest of 2 lemons and 4tbsp juice
150g lemon curd
1) Lightly butter a 2pint/1litre pudding basin.
2) Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, butter, eggs, lemon zest and 2tbsp of the juice.
3) Use an electric hand whisk to beat the ingredients together until the mixture becomes pale and thickens.
4) Spoon the mixture into the bowl, making a small hollow in the centre.
5) Microwave the pudding on the highest setting for 4-6 minutes, until springy to touch in the middle.
6) Remove from the microwave and leave for a few minutes before turning out onto a plate.
7) Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, mix the lemon curd and the remaining lemon juice and then pop into the microwave on high for 30 seconds.
8) Stir the sauce then pour half over the sponge. Leave for 2 minutes to allow this to soak in, then pour on the rest and serve.
Tip: Make the sponge and sauce but keep separate and simply serve portions of the sponge, repeating step 8 when required. This means you can make a giant one for just one or two people and eat it over a few days (the sponge will keep in an airtight container for 3 days, the sauce will keep in the fridge and both will need 30 seconds in the microwave to reheat).