Thursday 5 May 2011

We are lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I do not know that much about politics, I am moderately interested at best and I do not want to start a political debate with this. I am stating my opinion, and feel free to disagree if you like.

I voted 'no' in the AV referendum because I do not think that the election system is what is wrong with our political system, it is the people who stand for us. And seeing as regardless of how we vote it will be the same idiots who run our country, we may as well keep the old system which is tried-and-tested and is not ruining other countries (AV in Australia, enough said) and not spend millions of pounds we do not have on a new system that will make very little or no difference.

Why did I vote at all despite my obvious apathy when, surely, apathy towards the system leads to most people not bothering? Because women died so that I would have the right to vote, and around the world today not everyone is as lucky as I am as a female to be able to vote.


We are very lucky, voting is a privilege not a right, and I urge any women out there reading this today to go out and vote. You owe it to your ancestors who fought, to the women of Saudi Arabia, (who are not the only ones but whom I have read a lot about lately, read a bit here) to go out and vote. Saying you don't understand politics isn't enough, look online, watch the news for 15 minutes a day and educate yourself, then get to the polling station and do what so many women can't and realise how lucky you are to live in a country where our opinions and free speech are valued.

*steps down off soap box*

1 comments:

Yvonne said...

It's a shame more people don't vote. The one time we have a true voice& chance to make a difference. Don't pass it up, younger generation!

Post a Comment

say hello :)